When there’s a will there’s a way
We live in a world full of stereotypes and judgements, anything that’s not normal is usually not greeted. In a country full of engineers and doctors and other scholars we push our kids to do their best in what we think is best for them. Our education system is predesigned in a format that does not cater to every child. As a child, I loved History and Geography but Maths was not my favorite but then I did meet a teacher later who taught me well, if not teach she fostered an interest in maths in me.
Today we are in conversation with Saurabh Jain – Founder of Fun2DoLabs – An open education project. Main organizer of Twitter Developer Group -India and also Head Paytm- Build for India.
Whats the story behind your startup- Fun2DoLabs
Fun2Do Labs started due to inspiration from my son. He was 6 years old in 2016. He took out Arduino from my drawer and started tinkering with it. Arduino is a digital micro-controller used for making IoT prototypes. My son became my companion in learning Arduino even though he was just 6 years old. My wife was unhappy with my son’s performance in school. So I saw that kids who can be termed as a genius on one side are termed as bad students on the other side. I wanted to help my son to be a better learner without going through the pain brought upon by the traditional education system.
In parallel, I started developing some mobile games and video content for training kids. I had the background in building e-learning content as I had clients like Penguin Books, Topper TV etc in the past. The more I researched on the topic of education the more convinced I became of the need to bring fun to education. Even my wife and mother motivated me to venture into EdTech space since they felt that I was able to turn around my son with the help of my innovative ideas around education.
Unlike majority of the people building educational policy I believe that money is not the reason behind bad educational standards in India and around the world in general. The basic design and logistics of education system are ill suited for learning. Many people are silent victims of the education system. The solution according to me is in making education open and fun. Fun2Do Labs has started an open education project on our website fun2dolabs.org .
Paytm and Fun2DoLabs
Paytm- Build For India
Benefits of the Project
This is a one of a kind project , who and how can people benefit from the same.
- Students benefit because they get to work on practical projects and get mentoring opportunities. Students will get branding opportunities also. We plan to award Paytm Scholar certificates to bright students.
- Mentors benefit because they get to tinker on cutting edge projects with bright students. Innovative mentors need tinkering opportunities to be happy. Also mentors will get branding in the industry for their volunteering efforts. Mentors also will form life long bonds with passionate students and freshers.
- India benefits because on one hand the higher education problem is getting solved and on the other hand some of the projects will solve problems like education, health, governance, financial inclusion etc.
- Colleges benefit because they get a readymade pool of industry experts for their students.
- Industry benefits because their is increase in the pool of talented people within cutting edge domains like AI, Machine Learning, UX Design etc.
The future of Paytm- Build for India
Twitter Developer Group India